I don’t think I can wait any longer to start recommending this book. You must have it when it comes out in November. You especially must if:
- you attend Hilary Mantel midnight release parties
- you still get upset that your eyes aren’t purple like Alanna’s
- you like Game of Thrones but wish GRRM could have kept his characters from describing someone as a whore every few pages
- you like your history fascinating and your lesbians powerful
- your eyes lit up when you first learned about the Great Vowel Shift
But you know, if none of that is true but you do like good books, you still need it. Go do whatever you have to do to make sure Hild by Nicola Griffith is in your life at the first moment it can be.
Oh man, 5 out of 5.
(Well, OK, I haven’t literally attended a midnight Mantel party. But I would, probably, if it ever came up. She is fantastic.)
Book 10 of 2014: Hild by Nicola Griffith
This is the book I’ve been telling everyone I know to read. All of the above points are spot on, first of all, plus it’s just fantastically written. Sentences you could drink like rich honey mead. Characters you could live with for years. A world that’s not just fun to read about but textured, breathing, kind of possible to imagine living in. Even if you’re a lady! I loved it.